Saturday, December 1, 2007

I've Said It Before And I'll Say It Again

Last night, I went through a 2-3 hour case of deja vu. It lasted from the moment I walked up to the theater through about 20 minutes after the Mister Diplomat show was over. It included scenes from the show, random conversations before and after, and a very odd moment when I almost pulled lights but then thought, "No, I remember blacking-out this show on a different line."

I mentioned this to one of my co-improvisers, and his theory ran as follows: "That's what you get for being at the theater so long. 'I remember Robin saying that exact thing before, only she was Olivia and we were in an ice cream shop.'"

I can't agree with that though. Because, as many people have found out, I actually remember those kinds of things, and thus I don't confuse them with deja vu. I have, in fact, seen improv scenes that are extremely reminiscent of improv scenes I've seen before (not surprising, considering I'm fairly sure I've reached the twenty-thousand mark by this point), and I've had conversations about the same things over and over, but neither of those compares to the very distinct feel of having lived a moment before.

I've never really wondered before what false memories must feel like; I've always left that particular angst to the professionals...




...but, man, glitches in the Matrix are disturbing when they last for longer than a couple minutes. I should go back and reread Kurt Vonnegut's Timequake with this newfound understanding.

Hmm. Is it just me, or does it seem fundamentally wrong to reread a book about longterm deja vu?

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Maybe your memories are quantum-entangled with the future.